Sunday, 17 January 2010

What do I think about?

The word Bright is a term used to describe those who live lives free of the supernatural and mystical.

I don’t like the term. They say they’re not arrogantly claiming to be cleverer than people who do believe in such things, but it doesn’t wash with me. Richard Dawkins described the term in a Guardian article as “a noun hijacked from an adjective, with its original meaning changed but not too much.” I admire what the Bright community are trying to do and consider myself to be part of it, but if you want to change someone’s mind you don’t start by saying “Listen! I’m clever. I’m not saying you’re stupid but…” Yes you are.

I do like the sentence. ‘…free of the supernatural and mystical.’ I believe that the intellectual capacity of the majority of people on this planet has been hobbled by religion and that there is a very real freedom to be gained by realising its untrue and unnecessary.

I believe in particles and energy interacting in a deterministic way, with one past and one future and no freewill. That’s it.

Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment